A tasty twist on the classic Bahn Mi, this dish pairs savory pork patties with easy pickled vegetables on toasted brioche, topped with a slather of sriracha mayo. Feel free to swap out ground chicken, turkey or beef for the pork.
This recipe is written for a nonstick skillet. If using a stainless skillet, cook burgers in 1 tablespoon olive or other oil.
Quick Pickled Vegetables
- 1 cup thinly sliced English cucumber
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1-2 tablespoons sriracha
- pound ground pork
- teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- garlic clove, minced
- teaspoon sugar
- teaspoon fish sauce
- teaspoon lime juice
- 4 brioche buns, split and toasted
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- Place the cucumber, carrots and green onion in a heatproof bowl. Combine the vinegar, water, and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat; pour over vegetables. Partially cover and chill until use.
- Combine mayonnaise and Sriracha in a small bowl; cover and chill.
- Combine pork, chili garlic sauce, garlic, sugar, fish sauce and lime juice just until combined. Form into 4 four 4-inch-wide patties.
- Heat a 12” nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook 4 minutes: turn and cook until an instant-read thermometer reads 145°F, about 4 minutes.
- To assemble, spread both sides of buns with sriracha mayonnaise. Place 1 burger patty on each bottom bun half. Drain pickled vegetables; divide among burgers. Top evenly with mint and basil leaves, cover with top halves of buns.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 burger
Prep and Cook time: 30 minutes