Taco Tuesday is teaming up with Meatless Monday for a vegetarian twist on an old classic. But instead of ground beef or turkey in these tacos, the star of the show is avocado. That means you’re getting a big boost of vitamins C, E, K and B6 for some long-lasting energy. Garnished with mango slaw and spicy crema, this one’s definitely going into your recipe rotation.
Pro Tip: When looking for avocados, choose ones that are slightly firm so they hold up better while frying.
- ½ cup crema or sour cream
- 3 teaspoons jalapeno or your favorite hot sauce
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- ½ cup diced mango
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Pinch salt
- 2 medium, firm avocados, halved, pitted and peeled
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 - 6” flour or corn tortillas
- 12” American Kitchen Stainless Steel Skillet
- 8” American Kitchen Stainless Steel Skillet
- Small Bowl
- Medium Bowl
- Set of 3 Shallow Dishes
- 2 Plates
- Wash and dry all produce. Slice the red cabbage, dice the mango, chop the cilantro, and dice the red onion. Combine all slaw ingredients in a bowl, and toss with the lime juice. Then cover and place in the fridge to chill.
- Combine the crema and jalapenos in a small bowl, cover, and place in the fridge to chill.
- Prepare your breading for the avocados by combining flour, garlic powder, salt, and cumin in a shallow dish. Beat the eggs in a second shallow dish and place Panko in a third shallow dish.
- Cut each avocado half into thirds. Working with one avocado slice at a time, dredge avocado in flour, dip in egg, shaking off excess, and coat with Panko. Press breadcrumbs lightly to help them adhere to the avocado. Repeat with remaining avocado slices until all avocados are coated.
- Heat oil in a 12” stainless steel skillet over medium heat (or approximately 350°F). Add 6 avocado slices. Cook 2 minutes or until browned, turning halfway through. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and repeat with the remaining avocado.
- Heat up about 1 tbs of oil in an 8” stainless steel skillet over medium heat (or approximately 350°F). Working with one tortilla at a time, heat tortilla for 20 seconds per side or until warmed through. Transfer to a plate and keep warm; repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Assemble the tacos by topping each warmed tortilla with mango slaw, fried avocado, and crema.
Yield: 6 tacos
Slaw yield: about 1 ½ cups
Crema yield: ½ cup